Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas 2012

Christmas Dinner was a family affair. You have food and you have presents what more could you want. Peace and happiness in the world? I'm asking too much, yeah I know.

Growing up Christmas Eve was the big day. I don't know if it's the same for others, but for our family Christmas wasn't a big deal. You see for us we spend Christmas Eve making this big meal and eat in the afternoon with any family that comes over to exchange presents.

I remember going to other houses and getting dressed up when I was younger. We would walk in with presents and hand them out and then people would offer us a meal and of course you say yes. Unless, now here's the kicker, unless you have made plans to eat at someone else's house. As a kid I hated that part because you're hungry all day you can't eat and then you have to drive around to people's houses that smell like heaven, torture.

Finally when you arrive at the house which your parents have agreed to eat at you feel like you can inhale and breath in all the wonderful smells. You exchange presents and then bam plates are handed to you. You don't even have to sit at a table because there are so many people and not enough seats. I would just find a nice spot on a couch where my drink was easily accessible. That was awesome for me. Once we were done eating you would hang out with the kid closest to you in age and wait to either go home or for midnight to open presents.



Once morning came along it was time for opening presents and that was Christmas for me. Now that I'm older and cook the meals and we no longer visit anyone its all about the meals. My parents have stopped trying to guess what I want so a few days before they ask what I want and I usually order it online or drag them with me to the store so they hand the nice person their credit card.

Now for the rundown of our wonderful meal. For dinner I went non-traditional, because I just hate being predictable and I like trying new things.

Every holiday everyone whines for the last couple of hours before the meal that they're hungry and when will the food be ready. So this time I made nachos as an appetizer. Using festive red and green chips a layer of beans, a layer of cheese, another of chips, a layer of beans, cheese, chicken and more cheese. Lastly was the sour cream and guacamole.


Next was a blue cheese, pecan salad with a red wine vinegrette.









Along with Caprese. 


Then came the main course, potato salad, chorizo with a pesto sauce, forbidden rice, honey glazed ham and garlic bread.
Potato Salad
Forbidden Rice
Garlic Bread




Unfortunately, the family was so hungry that a few items were unavailable for pictures.  
Honey glazed ham

So until I see you again in a few days when the next meal is served, enjoy your left overs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment