Thursday, December 27, 2012

LACMA

Museums are made to be enjoyed. When I was growing up I remember going and never understanding what was so exciting. Then again for some reason in High School they thought that we should go to the Museum of Tolerance. Now if you have never been or don't know what it is let me explain. It is a museum where they challenge the visitor to understand the Holocaust as it was then and how it affects us now. It is very difficult to go through the whole museum and not question what is wrong with humanity.

As I am older and have a better understanding of life I have tried museums again with new eyes. I recently went to LACMA and I am glad that my wife wanted to go. 

There are several buildings with different forms of art. My favorite part is the fact that you are in the presence of what our society reveres as greatness. They have a few pieces from Andy Warhol, Claude Monet, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso. Now I am not an art enthusiast but I can appreciate history. These artist have influenced art for years now.  

Seeing the beauty in art is in the eye of the beholder. Now I do not have a preference for any artist in particular but that is because my knowledge of art is very minuscule, but growing. Although I personally prefer Picasso's earlier work, I'm not really clear on what was going on in his later cubism work. They also have several sculptures by him and Matisse. Picasso's work was said to be influenced by Matisse and together they revolutionized  the arts.
Later work
Early work


They have a Ken Price exhibition, with pieces which are made of clay and finely painted. These sculptures are very abstract and up for interpretation as to what they look like. It is beautiful to see the intricacy with which these items are made. Try doing a psychology experiment of your own to see what comes to mind when you look at each object. 



My favorite was a section of art from the 1950's which was more to my liking. They have a few pieces by Andy Warhol, which are the ones I recognized. Especially the Campbell's soup can.


The last item on the agenda was the Levitated Mass. A lot of people have heard about this piece of rock because of the cost, the time and the journey of this rock. 
Cost: $10,000,000 (YES, $10 Million) 
Time: 1969-2012 (43 years)
Journey: 105 Miles 
Levitated Mass


I am not a fan of the work but I respect that some may see beauty in it.


Urban Lights



202 Cast Iron lamps that once graced the beautiful city of Los Angeles. They look symmetrical but from different vantage points they form different angles and perspectives.

Lastly we have a few pictures of art I found interesting or relevant to my life. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. If you're wondering why I didn't have more pictures of the more famous artists well FYI not all galleries allow pictures.



Alice in Wonderland 

This was my view in their huge elevator.  It fits a lot of people. 

This piece is the crossing of main streets in LA; Santa Monica, Melrose and La Brea. When you live in LA knowing where these streets are is pretty relevant. 

This was a tree my wife took a picture that she really liked but now can't remember anything about it.   Oops

Walter de Maria's: The 2000 Sculpture.  It's a play on the positions of each item and some rows have different shaped items. I don't really understand it but apparently they are separated by very specific measurements. 






No comments:

Post a Comment