Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

The Holidays are my favorite days of the year when I can show of my culinary talents. Psychology is my fascination, sports is my outlet, writing is my passion and cooking is my hobby.

I was never taught how to cook. I had to watch as my mother did and see how I was going to replicate what she did. Let me tell you know my mom is not a great cook. There are a few dishes that she does well but she is the type who sees someone on a show do something and then she wants to be that creative and it doesn't usually go well.

I started cooking in High School, sometime around 15 when I wanted a fresher meal and mom was working lots of hours so our meals were cooked the day before for the next day. Not bad just not fresh. It was a team effort between my father and I, he would pick the protein, clean it and I would make it happen, we have become quite a team. I would get home from my practices and make something for my dad and I; my mom and brother would it when they got home or when they got hungry.

Unfortunately, my mom got used to it and I became the full time cook at my parents house. I then took over holiday and party duties. I am the resident chef at my parents and aunt's house. Holidays for me are difficult in the sense that my wife and I have to split the holiday between our families and usually her family gets the short end of the stick having to eat early, its not easy.

At my parents house it's my parents, my aunt, grandma, my wife and I and my brother. Its fun and exhausting getting to cook for everyone because they are all anticipating my masterpiece and they are all so grateful for my meals and my efforts.

Its a full days event from the preparing of protein, the cutting of vegetables, the making of sauces, watching the food cook in the oven, basting or turning to avoid burning. The few strolls people take into your kitchen to check on the progress trying to avoid looking like hungry starving humans. The smells and aromas circulating through the house arousing your senses and sparking an interest. The eventual phrases start swirling around like vultures: "It smells delicious I can't wait to eat." That isn't going to get the food finished any faster.

The menu for this years shindig was barbecue baby back ribs and a rack of dry rub baby back ribs, an italian sausage basil arugula pesto ritoni salad, baked potatoes with the fixings, and a corn-cilanto cream. Extremely non-traditional. I have never cooked a full turkey and dread the thought that it may come out dry. I made ham last year and I never make the same thing two years in a row, the year before we had New York Steaks.

You see for us it is not about the traditional thanksgiving meal but about being able to spend a meal all together. The ability to be thankful for our family not being separated. It's something we took for granted before my brother was in prison. I try to showcase my cooking talents on these few special days and enjoy the fact that my dad doesn't mind splurging on the menu items.

I am thankful for the moments spent around the table enjoying each others company because I don't know when those moments will be lost. I am thankful for a family who stands by my side when times have been tough. I am thankful for another year of life getting to do what I love and finding the activities that make me happy. Ultimately I am thankful for the woman who loves me unconditionally. My wife is the reason I wake up in the morning and try to be a better person who strives for success. She is the reason I have followed my heart to do what I am not only good at but what also makes me truly happy.

Be thankful for what you have. Remember you only die once once but live everyday. Live every day as if it is your last and stop regretting the past. Every time you regret your past you are cheating on your future. You don't want to look back 50 years from now and realize you lived a life full of regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment